Independent living is not licensed, however Birchwood Meadows will be fully licensed for pre-assisted, and therefore does not have specific service and amenity requirements. Independent facilities typically offer congregate housing with convenience services such as housekeeping, maintenance, and meals. Independent/pre-assisted living offers a maintenance free lifestyle that includes the opportunity for socialization.
Standard Independent Living services are expected to also include:
- Food services
Licensed assisted living must include 24-hour supervision, assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), and supportive services for the semi-independent elderly person. This facility will include 3 meals a day, housekeeping and laundry service, maintenance, utilities, and medication supervision. There is also an added level of care for individuals with dementia such as having staff trained in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease as well as coping with difficult behavior, activities designed for a cognitively impaired individual, physical plant features such as walkways for wandering residents and secured outdoor recreational areas, and security features to prevent residents from leaving the unit unsupervised.
Standard Assisted Living services are expected to also include:
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs): walking, eating, dressing, bathing, toileting and transfer between bed and chair.
- Assistance with instrumental activities of daily living (ADLs): doing laundry, cleaning of living areas, food preparation, managing money and conducting business affairs, using public transportation, writing letters, obtaining appointments, using the telephone, and engaging in recreational or leisure activities.
- Medication assistance and management.
- Emergency response systems that residents can activate.
- Health promotion and monitoring, such as blood pressure, pulse rate and weight checks.
- A variety of social, educational and recreational activities that include opportunities for socialization and wellness – including exercise – offered both within and outside the assisted living residence.
- Coordination, arrangement and ongoing evaluation of service provision.
- Transportation services that are either provided, arranged or coordinated by the assisted living
RESIDENTIAL DEMENTIA CARE
Standard Alzheimer’s/Dementia services are expected to also include:
- The facility will follow the guidelines of “GentleCare” by Moyra Jones to service the residents with Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Shelving to display and/or store familiar personal effects such as pictures or sentimental items.
- Layout which allows spontaneous and frequent access to an outdoor environment specifically for dementia residents
- Specially trained staff
- Secure perimeters
- Indoor and outdoor walking paths
- Appropriate wayfinding cues and signage
- Multiple social and dining areas
COMPREHENSIVE SERVICE PACKAGE
The Facility will combine health care services and housing serving all individuals who are in need of our services.
Services will include, directly or through third party contracts, but will not be limited to:
- Evaluation prior to admission
- Formulation of a care plan within 30 days of admission
- Occupational, physical, recreational and speech therapy
- Social Services Work
- Social activities and programs
- Nutritional services
- Memory care secure unit
- Family Counseling
- Medical Referrals
- Case Management
- Wellness/Nutritional Programs